Musings, Style

Dining Room Style

January 31, 2015

Guess what?

We have no dining room furniture… I often eat at my husband’s work desk or on the bed… t tsk tsk.

When you’re getting married there are 101 things you need and I decided not to let that list overwhelm me so a dining table moved a few steps down the rung.

Here is the thing though, I love cooking, I love hosting and I had imagined that I would be the queen bee of brunches and dinner parties by now. LOL. I think it’s time to move dining furniture a few steps up the list and I expressed this to Oyekola. We started looking at some pictures and I showed him my vision.

Him : Oh baby they’re really nice I like them..

Me: But…?

Him: Will people “get” it? I mean I can imagine <redacted> asking “why are you using cheap-looking unfinished wood?”

Me: *facepalm*

But I totally get where he’s coming from, a lot of Nigerian people like victorian-esque over the top furniture, and even in the case of modern style, the style is usually cold and bachelor pad-esque, neither of which I’m going for.white wood Repurposed grey scndanavian 17-rumi-neely-home tumblr_n6ahtfAvmt1qkegsbo1_500

So I soon as I find someone who can bring the vision alive or where I can buy/ DIY it I think we’ll go for it.

Photos via 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6.

More of my home style here  I should warn you, it’s a bit of everything.

• Reply kovieparker January 31, 2015 at 11:05 am

Please, this is the way to go!! I’ve been looking for someone that works with unfinished looking wood like that, if you find, “hallat ya gyal”. Lol.

Can’t wait to see the finished look of your place.

• Reply Sabirah January 31, 2015 at 11:11 am

Hahahaha I will

I can’t wait either, slowly but surely 🙂

• Reply Afoma January 31, 2015 at 10:22 pm

LOL your husband is speaking truth! But you’ve gotta make your own choices at the end, plus I think once the entire room works together, the table doesn’t stick out like a sore thumb! I love the photos!

• Reply Sabirah February 1, 2015 at 1:36 pm

exactly! Harmony is key

• Reply Funmi February 16, 2015 at 7:46 pm

I like this. Very unique, at least for Nigerian interiors from what I’ve seen. Good luck with the hunt. Will you paint your walls to match/coordinate? Couldn’t help noticing they’re all bright white in these pictures.

• Reply Ike December 8, 2015 at 5:58 am

Lol@ your husband’s comment. I know, right. It doesn’t matter if people get it. I’m of the opinion that you decorate your living space to reflect your personality, no matter how quirky.

Minimalist-rustic is my kind of style too! I love these photos, even though I know my mum might insist on using a table cloth when she comes to visit. Lol!