Thursday Tidbits

October 8, 2015

It’s been a long time, I shouldn’t have left you, without a dope beat to step to, step to, step to.

I think you know why it’s been a while, the course got really intense and I barely remembered to eat. But I finished last week and I passssssed so yeah, let’s get into it shall we?

1. Thai commercials are so funny, I will do a round up of some of my faves later (hard to find ones with subtitles) but here’s this one for now
  2. The myth of quality time. I love this
  3. Have you seen Childish Gambino’s cover of Tamia’s So into you? I love it so much.
  4. I really admire Shonda Rimes and loved reading this interview
  5. Lucky
  6. I leave Thailand soon and I’m trying hard not to think about it, there is a physical pain.
  7. I asked before, if we don’t deal with trauma will it always come back to haunt us? Is this my answer?
  8. What can we do about women’s health in Nigeria?
  9. Who defines what “selling out” is? In any context

We kind got somber with those last few ones no? Thank you for sticking with me, and I hope you enjoyed something.

• Reply Joláadé October 8, 2015 at 1:39 pm

This made my study-break so much more ‘refreshing’!
    I’m just going to look for more now, since I have 27 more minutes to kill. 🙂
    <3 <3 <3

• Reply Sabirah October 9, 2015 at 8:17 am

I’m so glad!!
      Yaaay! do comment on your faves 🙂

• Reply BukkieSho October 8, 2015 at 2:56 pm

Hahahaha! Been binge-watching Thai ads since I read your post on my Feedly, at work no less. This fast internet is good 🙂

I look forward to your posts, always.

Where do you teach?

• Reply Sabirah October 9, 2015 at 8:18 am

Hahaha Thai ads are fun aren’t they?

I’m currently between jobs, hoping to find a school I can call home soon 🙂

• Reply Tolz October 8, 2015 at 5:18 pm

That cover is dope!!!

I have always been in arguments regarding “selling out” especially musically.
    Artistes can be versatile, and most of them are called sell outs and what not because they’re making music thats selling at the moment ( I Dont like calling it commercial music because anything can sell, just depends on the demand and supply for it/ or how demand can be created)

I personally dont believe in the word “sell out” unless its doing harm to someone else. If ur profiting from whatever ur SELLING OUT, without harming others? their opinion on what u choose to sell is next to null & void

• Reply Sabirah October 9, 2015 at 8:18 am

Love this comment, thank you!

• Reply An Afrikan Butterfly October 9, 2015 at 10:24 am

“I think power is useless unless you know you have it.”
    Shonda is the absolute best. I honestly do not understand how people can look at her, or her shows and not see the wonder in wghat she is doing. The statements she is committed to making. I enjoyed reading this interview (shared it) and will definitely be buying that book when it comes out!
    I’ll check out the audio/visual tidbits over the weekend.
    🙂

Re: Selling out, can I “align myself” with the previous commenter? LOL. I think artists should make the Art they want. Some you make more for yourself, some you may make for others. Man shall not live on critical praise alone. Besides, if the world is leaning towards EDM, is it wrong to experiment? Not a bad thing to be versatile. Your talent is still your talent, And one thing about the “selling out” debate in music that I think people usually miss. To slightly remix Frank Ocean’s words, the best songs are rarely or not always the singles. I’ve found that though the top sellers are the “commercial” bangers, or official stuff released to TV and radio, artistes still retain a lot of the originality, or whatever you love them for, in the rest of the album. If you aren’t listening to the entire body of work, and you’re mad at them for the icing on top, are you truly a fan?

• Reply Thursday Tidbits – SabirahO January 14, 2016 at 3:44 pm

[…] remember telling y’all about Thai commercials in this post, here’s another one. So […]