Thursday Tidbits

November 26, 2015

These weeks are blazing by, how are we at an another Thursday already? Hope you’re doing well

Let’s get into it.

1. Our Long read for the week– I debated putting this one up, I really enjoyed it but I wondered if it would be y’all’s cup of tea, let me know will you? I’m a big fan of Yemisi’s.
  2. Roxanne Gay writes about her morning outfit routine, and some of it feels all too real.
  3. One of my Egbons (older sibling -in my head) about building a tribe and I love it so much. Do you have a tribe?
  4. We really need to give more real hugs… I mean have you heard about paid snugglers?
  5. There’s a name for that fear you have, here’s one way to deal.
  6. I wrote this over three years ago, really happy to be reading it again.
  7. I love this quick friendship tip, I think it will work for most of my LDRs
  8. LMAO I love this ad
  9. Happy thanksgiving if you celebrate! I really miss it 🙂

Bonus:Funmi Iyanda was awarded an Honorary Fellowship at Cumbria University… and her speech! I couldn’t not share (found seconds before posting!)

Have a restful weekend, give out some hugs and spend sometime with friends- I’ll be doing just that.

• Reply Afoma November 26, 2015 at 1:03 pm

Fantastic links!

• Reply Sabirah November 26, 2015 at 2:02 pm

• Reply Chioma November 26, 2015 at 1:45 pm

*sigh* Yemisi just described my findings when I did a 5 day juice fast. I really want to do it again but for a longer duration. I’m battling with wanting to eat all the things though.

“The story of my life is wanting what I cannot have or, perhaps, wanting what I dare not allow myself to have.” Why is Roxane so perfect?

Where do I sign up to be a snuggler??? I give awesome hugs and I have receipts! (https://twitter.com/kovieparker/status/664099921675571201)

I think the Funmi Iyanda link is broken. I found this one http://pulse.ng/celebrities/funmi-iyanda-read-media-icons-inspiring-acceptance-speech-for-her-honorary-fellowship-id4395214.html

• Reply Sabirah November 26, 2015 at 2:02 pm

Hmmmm I’m afraid of what I might find if I really commit to eating totally clean- minus soy etc. hmm.
      Roxane is perfect!
      Hahahaha at your receipts! love it.

Thank you, fixed it!

• Reply Amina O November 26, 2015 at 1:53 pm

You put up the best reads! I can’t remember if I’ve heard of Yemisi Aribisala before, but I’m publicly promising that this is the last can of Cerelac that I’ll buy. Not because I believe that processed baby food is generally bad for all kids, but because I think my kids will benefit from more natural foods.
    And she’s such a fantastic writer too!

The only thing missing from my tribe is a mentor. I’m still searching…

Lol I don’t know about platonic cuddling sha. Things can go from 0 to 100.

• Reply Sabirah November 26, 2015 at 1:59 pm

Thank you!
      I’ve really been thinking about food deeply lately (yes even more than usual, I’m afraid of what I might find), glad you enjoyed it!
      I have a mentor but she is a new mom now, no time for me. lol
      That Platonic cuddling is just extra. Nah nah nah

• Reply teniola November 26, 2015 at 1:55 pm

Loved your tidbits! Every link was a gem. I will be reading more often 🙂

• Reply Sabirah November 26, 2015 at 1:57 pm

Thank you! 😀

• Reply Blanche November 26, 2015 at 2:33 pm

Oh Lord! I suffer from the imposter syndrome so much. I still cringe everytime I introduce myself to people as a writer or a designer. It’s so real and I was just complaining about it last night to an acquaintance. Thank you for this!

• Reply Sabirah November 26, 2015 at 3:30 pm

I do the same!!!
      You’re most welcome, thank you for reading

• Reply Blanche November 26, 2015 at 3:45 pm

Just had to come back again to say I’m in awe at Yemisi’s piece I love how she was able to tie everything up in a lovely little bow.
        Since coming back, I’ve developed an allergy that seems to be to everything. My skin breaks out in nasty hives and sometimes parts if my body swell to quite scary proportions.
        My mom is convinced it’s linked to something I’m eating but I’ve been so woried/lazy/uninterested to do a comprehensive test least they confirm mom’s suspicions and I have to give up my favorite things.
        This might be the push I needed.

• Reply Alaye Bam Bam November 27, 2015 at 9:31 am

Comments bellow are all about Mama Aziba’s article.

1. Her great grandfather, interesting lad. Come across many men like him at social clubs in Lagos. Forever philosophising, mostly about decisions they made in their younger days. Unable to go home till late night, because “wo ti ba ile je” (~spoilt things with family) so spend evenings with other women. Crazy thing is the relationships with these women aren’t particularly sexual, they just need a certain kind of company.

2. Omopupa, Noble man. As D’banj said, “Na poor I poor, I no commit crime”.

3. Olayonu, strong woman. Great that medicine keeps advancing.

4. I wonder how come my family, nuclear or extended, doesn’t share any particular trait. Maybe we’re not looking.

5. Mama Aziba. Bless her soul. May she never lose the warmth in her heart. It’s the warmth that gives her the drive and makes her so selfless.

6. Aziba, Wa Billahi Taufiq.

7. This article is at odds with one of my favorite Yoruba sayings “Oun to wun omo je, ki ro omo ninu” ~ “Children never have tummy issues after eating food they like”. That’s why statisticians recognise outliers.

• Reply Tega November 30, 2015 at 9:02 pm

I loved Yemisi’s story, such a great read. I always marvel at the fact that some bodies can’t process certain foods but it’s not like the child comes out with a note from God saying “Do not feed me A, B, & C.” Like her, it’s trial and error and for most people, falling sick before they realize somehting’s wrong. Sigh. I don’t think I have a tribe. I want one.