Art & Music

A Year of Non-Fiction

December 24, 2015
non fiction

A few days ago someone on twitter was talking about how many books they had read this year and I thought, well damn I really didn’t read that many. I’m going to say, maybe 15? I don’t really feel sad about it per se, mostly for two reasons- I’m not in competition with anyone for most books read and I read so many blogs/articles etc (I trawl through so many before deciding for Thursday Tidbits), and I’m sure that counts for something. Yaaay I’m not brain-dead.

I wanted to pick a reading focus for 2016 though, I’ve never been into non-fiction, but I’ve been seeing some books being talked about and I think this is a good time as any to start reading some. So while I wait for my kindle paper white- (secret admirer you still have time before its 2016), I’ve started drawing up a list and I’d love for you to add any you think I might enjoy too.

1. Elizabeth Gilbert’s Big magic- After reading Afoma’s review, I knew it had to be on my reading list. I also posted something she wrote on criticism that I loved.
  2. Brene Brown’s ‘The Gift of imperfection’- I’ve been seeing so many of her quotes on shame, courage and forgiveness and read a long excerpt that left me wanting more. Gotta read this one.
  3. James Altucher’s ‘Choose yourself’ – I’ve been subscribed to his newsletter for a while now, thanks to my friend Chioma and I would like to go deeper into some of the ideas he explores.
  4. Mindy Kaling’s ‘Why not me’ -Simply because I’m interested in her, I posted an excerpt on a past Thursday Tidbits and I still want to read the whole thing.
  5. Geneen Roth’s ‘Women, Food and God’ – This book has been on my list for the longest time, the subject matter is right up my alley and hopefully in writing about it here I will finally read it.

I have a couple more on my list but I think I’ll stop here. I’m hesitant to call these reading goals, but these are books I really want to get into and explore and as the year goes on, continue to read more non-fiction.

Do you have any book related themes for next year? Did you read anything absolutely fantastic this year? Do you read non-fiction.

Do share!

Sabirah.

• Reply Afoma December 24, 2015 at 1:29 pm

Whoop! Non Fiction was so good to me this year! You might like “yes, please” by Amy Poehler and Rising Strong by Brene Brown. Currently reading the gifts of imperfection and it’s good! I’ve also recently heard of Liz Gilbert’s “Commitment”. Constantly reminding myself that I’m also not in competition for number of books read, lol.

• Reply Sabirah December 24, 2015 at 1:32 pm

Thank you! Going to check those out!

• Reply Edgothboy December 24, 2015 at 2:20 pm

First time commenter here.

Im a huge non-fiction fan, though I tend more towards creative non-fiction.

I would say you have (must/should/please) read Wild and Tiny beautiful things by Cheryl Strayed. Its like magic the way that woman writes.

Id also suggest bad feminist by Roxane Gay and Men We Reaped by Jesmyn Ward, because they are both black women writing about incredibly diverse things with grace and honesty.

And of course the great trilogy The Liar’s Club, Cherry and Lit by Mary Karr. Mary Karr reads like a folk song, but her life is amazing, her writing even more.

• Reply Sabirah December 24, 2015 at 3:04 pm

Thank you for this packed comment, I am now looking up all your suggestions. All are new to me, except Roxane Gay’s which has been on my list for a while- I’m so excited to dive into these.

Thank you again!

• Reply Moyin December 24, 2015 at 4:03 pm

Not really a big fan of non-fiction but I read quite a few this year. Susan Cain’s Quiet, If You Feel Too Much by Jamie Tworkowski, Bob Goff’s Love Does, Donald Miller’s Scary Close and Blue Like Jazz were excellent reads.
    Top of my list for next year are Brene Brown and Rachel Held Evans’ Searching for Sunday which I’ve heard great things about.
    Thanks for the list, adding all of these to my to-read.

• Reply Ife.O December 24, 2015 at 4:29 pm

Non-fiction is my thing. I think this year is proof I actually prefer non-fiction (particularly memoirs, biographies, and autobiographies) to fiction. Susan Cain’s Quiet was the best book I read this year. I am also about the begin Shonda Rhimes’s Year of Yes and I think I’ll love it.

• Reply Ife.O December 24, 2015 at 4:31 pm

Oh and I wanted to add I think it’s okay to not read so many books. Like you, I mostly read articles, blogs etc. because that’s really what I had time for. I actually read somewhere too much reading can get our brains lazy because then we are not doing any thinking. Erm, don’t know how true this is or if it makes any sense lol