Happy Mother’s day (American)… We’ve already had like 3 here in Nigeria!
Last weekend I had a bunch of avocados at home, it was 3 day weekend so I got to making… and eating.
Avocado toast has been a favourite for a while but I decided to give it a new take with some trusted ingredients and flavours. I will definitely be eating this more often.
Start off with a good loaf, this is important.
Although simple has always been my favourite, I looooved the tomato, basil and olive oil combo. The flavour was just perfect. Do not skip the olive oil, it really binds all the flavours together.
I also have serving suggestions as you’ll see in the photos
1. The simple– Avocado toast with cracked sea salt (please use any salt you have, I’m just fake fancy haha!) + crushed red pepper. Served this with mango slices.
2. Con Crispy egg– which is one of my favourite things. I served this one with sausages. A great breakfast meal if I ever saw one!
3. And my personal favourite. Garden fresh (ha! I wish these were from my personal garden.) tomatoes and basil with a splash of olive oil. So good!
Recipe is below. I hope you’re inspired to try new variations on old favourites.
- Loaf of bread
- Fresh Basil
- Olive oil
- Crushed red pepper
- Cracked sea salt
- Toast your bread, if you're using a seeded loaf like me, or a more irregular shaped bread, you can pan grill it for 1min on each side.
- Cut open avocado, remove the seed and slice while in the skin. Do not cut through the skin. Scoop out slices with a spoon.
- Layer slices on the toast and sprinkle with sea sat and crushed red pepper. If you're making the first variation you're done!
- If you're making the second, top with a crispy fried egg
- and for the third, layer with sliced tomatoes, fresh basil and a dash of olive oil!
If you try this out please let me know!
Have a lovely week ahead!