Damn Sab, back again with another food post
First of all, the term sausage is used a little loosely here but go with it won’t ya? So because I like to keep my whole 30 life interesting, I wanted to switch up my breakfast from my frittatas and all. I remembered these frozen breakfast sausages I used to eat a lot in uni (ugh so bad). The key thing was that they had that slightly sweet savoury thing on lock! They were so good!
Now whole30 as you know is strictly no sugar, so I thought why not add some apples, that should add some slight sweetness. I used pink lady apples which are my absolute favourite. If you’re not a fan of sweet + savoury, this might change your mind. They are just too good.
My mum and brother who were visiting ate so many of them much to my annoyance! hahaa
I usually just grabbed one or two with a boiled egg for breakfast and I was good till lunch!
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 sweet apple, peeled, and finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 500g ground chicken or ground pork (I used half and half)
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. ground Cameroon pepper
- 2 tsp. dried sage
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil for frying
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil, then add diced onion and apple. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, cook for 1 more minute, then turn off heat and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Place the cooled mixture of apple, onion and garlic into a large bowl. Add ground meat, sea salt, ground Cameroon pepper, sage and dried thyme. Mix until all ingredients are well combined.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat with additional olive oil. Form into small circular patties and place on skillet. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side. I got about 12 patties
Please let me know if you make these. Eat these for breakfast lunch or dinner! Photos are some other serving suggestions 🙂