Not-so-Fairytale

March 8, 2018

Happy International Women’s Day,

Last year I posted a call to action that is still very relevant.

This year, a personal musing and reflection.

******************************************************************************

I was talking to my friend a couple of days ago and she said “Your life is like a fairytale”.

Me: 😦 que??

I was surprised because this was someone who is on “the inside” and should know better…

Upon further reflection, I began to see that my personality and the way I tell the story of my life and ultimately successes paints a different picture.

A friend of mine said to me recently, you make the most basic things seem magical. I laughed because I really am experiencing that moment as magical.

I could be putting on a pair of shoes, then pause to exclaim,”wow, I love these shoes, I’m so glad I get to wear them. I’m so glad to experience this lovely moment.”

That’s me.

I celebrate little things because I’ve been on the brink before and…

Anyway, while this “Rosey-hippie” lenses are part of the things I love about myself. At the same time though, I see how it can paint an incomplete picture.

I tend to gloss over challenges. Most times I’ll talk about them only if asked in the moment and just power through till the next good thing comes along.

And while I try to take time to reflect and learn from said challenges, I don’t speak much about them.

For example, when I tweeted about my promotion, I only talked about how my previous Boss had really championed it and was awesome- all the happiness around it. But the full truth is that the process was fraught with tension, miscommunication and more. It was a really difficult time for me before it came through. I cried a lot and wondered if I really even wanted or deserved it.

All of this is to say, I want to make a conscious effort to tell stories of challenges though the situations and successes. I love that I’m optimistic. I love that I take delight in the smallest of things, that a cup of tea can and does bring me so much joy.

But I also know that when we share, we aim to help people grow and what’s that without the lows- which is really where the growth happens.

I’m just aiming to be more conscious, whether I’m sharing about my career, friendships or life in general.

As we celebrate international women’s Day today, I know that in Pressing for progress, in extending opportunities for women and supporting women, we should share full stories that people can grow through.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on this.

• Reply Arit March 8, 2018 at 12:26 pm

Yes to telling full stories. I tend to gloss over challenges as well, yet people always relate the most to them. Here’s to more complete stories abi? Happy IWD

• Reply Gbemi March 8, 2018 at 12:40 pm

Love your spirit and magic!
    Cheers to more stories and full moments. Happy IWD

• Reply Sherifah March 8, 2018 at 1:11 pm

I’ve always loved your hype Sabirah. Your squeals and giggles and your easy spirit. It’s true that sharing both sides helps, and I’m happy for you that your optimistic, happy and excitable side always comes tops. ❤

• Reply Joláadé March 8, 2018 at 1:24 pm

I think I actually began to live more intentionally because of you. Never really thanked you for that, so here I am, doing it. ❤️❤️❤️
    Back to the topic…I never used to be a sharer and then bam, I may have become an oversharer. Lmao! The good, the bad, the ugly. Oversharing as therapy, but only to those who are worthy. Pokom. Or was it Pakam? You get sha 😅😅

• Reply Sabirah March 8, 2018 at 1:51 pm

Ayeee you’re welcome.

Also I think it’s Kpomkwem! LOL

• Reply Mizchif April 2, 2018 at 10:57 pm

Sab!!!
    Had to save my response till i got a computer so i can express myself fully.

First of all, you’re one of my sources of sunshine. You almost literally radiate light.
    So i can see how people can think of your life as a fairytale.
    I’m going to ramble for a bit.
    Lol. I’m struggling with articulating this properly.

I don’t expect to see anyone putting up pictures of themselves at their lowest moments. I’m hardly going to make a video of myself when i’m in the middle of a meltdown, but i’m definitely going to post a picture of myself when i’m at the nail salon getting my nails did to literally lift me out of a depressive episode. I’ll also post a video when i go dancing later that same night.
    I may also post pictures of me being perfectly happy on a beach somewhere in a foreign country but you may not see me post any pictures of me eating out for the rest of the year because broke.

So there’s always a behind the scenes. Some people are just better able to make the best out of situations. Or at least not carry their “situations” around like a weight, and you’re one of those people.

But yes to full stories as well.